Ukraine train tickets online
For your comfort push the button of searched Ukraine train below:
How to read Ukraine train tickets
Ukrainian railways still do not issue tickets in English. Also quite difficult to find necessary information in them, since completely unnecessary things is highlighted with capital letters, but important staff – with small letters. Nevertheless, see below for the location of main info, that one need to know when boarding a train in Ukraine.
- Yellow line – indicates the train number. You will see this number on a board of trains inside any train station. Usually conductor checks this number when one take the train, so you can’t get into wrong train. Just keep this in mind.
- Blue line – indicates the number of your car in the train. Everything simple, each car has its own number, which is usually located near the door.
- Red line – this number is your seat place. An ordinary train car in Ukraine has 54 seats. Some of them will be yours. Intercity trains have another number of seats.
- Green line – shows time of departure.
- Purple line – time of arrival.
- From – this position is city of departure.
- To – city of arrival.
Online booking service of ukrainian railways is fastest way to find suitable train tickets for traveling over Ukraine. Train booking is available for every internet user. Booking tickets you choose the desired date of travel, direction and enter your details. Afterwards, ticket can be paid using any bank card. After payment, online system will send it to your email. There is no need to print a ticket, simply download it to your phone and show it when you board the train. Don’t forget to get passport! Without passport you can’t board the train in Ukraine.
Ukraine train tickets hunting tips
Despite that train is most popular transport, sometimes to get a ticket become a problem.
- Book tickets in advance! Availability of tickets depends on season. In summer find traine ticket much harder, especially towards Odessa. This is no suprise, because lot of people go to vacation. Main rule for summer time: book tickets far in advance. Maximum time of advance booking is 45 days.
- If you want to book upper seat in compartment, remember: all lower places have even numbers. All upper places have odd numbers.
- Сhoose a place in the middle of train car! Middle seats mean maximum distance from toilets, so you won’t be disturbed by smell.
- Can’t get a ticket? If there are no tickets, it make sense to wait until next morning. New tickets are available at 8 am, when online booking system is updated.
- How to get cheap ticket? Price varies depending on the day of week. Friday, Saturday and Sunday departure tickets always have higher price. Same happens during holidays in Ukraine. Train tickets cost more during New Year, Easter or Christmas time. On Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, train tickets price always low.
- Holidays fever. It is always a problem to buy Ukraine train tickets during holidays or week before. Main holidays in Ukraine are Easter, New Year, Christmas and first dates of March.
Ukrainian railways tickets. Price comparison
According to comfort and price, train tickets in Ukraine devided into four class:
- Business class, or so called SV. Expensive train tickets for place in compartment. Business class means compartment for two people only with private toilet and higher service. Regular train ticket of that class may cost $40-50.
- First class, or so called Coupe. Middle class ticket for a compartment for 4 people. Coupe it is closed compartment with big bed and private light over it. Upper price for ukrainian railways tickets of first class is $20. Usually such ticket cost less.
- Second class, or so called Plazcart. Cheapest train ticket of a regular train between big cities. Considered as a lower service. Second class is opened compartment with 4 places and little one for 2 places in front of it. This means 5 people around you and everybody who passing by corridor. Upper price for such ticket is $12, but usually a bit less.
International connections with ukrainian railways
Today, couple of Ukraine train goes to Europe. Using train service, you can get from Ukraine to nearest countries of european zone, such as Austria, Moldova, Poland, Lithuania, Estonia. Also there are train connections with Russia and
- West. Main western city of Ukraine is Lviv. From here you can easily get to Warsaw, Krakow or Pshemysl in Poland. This is a good way to start a trip over Ukraine, since Lviv one of most beautiful city. Also there is International airport with many low cost air companies.
- South. Odessa is a main southern city of Ukraine, that located closer to the border with Moldova. Many tourists choose this direction, because in Chisinau (Moldova) located big airport with low cost connections over Europe. From Chisinau it’s easy to buy Ukraine train tickets and travel to Odessa. Also, from little city near Odessa, you can get Georgia by sea trip.
- Central. Here located Kiev – capital of Ukraine. Kiev have train connections with Austria, Poland, Lithuania, Estonia. Also from Kiev you easily can get to Minsk (Belarus) and Moscow or St. Petersburg (Russia). Besides, there is new special train that connects four capitals: Kiev-Minsk-Vilnius-Riga.
- East. General city here is Kharkiv, that located closer to the border of Russia. This is a suitable point, when you prepare to travel Russia by train. From Kharkiv starts trains to St. Petersburg, Moscow, Belgorod, Rostov on Don and others.
Ukrainian railways advantage
Today, Ukraine train is most appropriate way to travel over country. Since the country has very big territory, train travel in Ukraine become cheapest and most suitable option. Simple fact, regular Ukraine train can get you from South to North and from West to East just overnight. So no wonder why not only locals, but many tourists prefer this kind of transport for traveling.
Ukraine train types
There are only two types of train in Ukraine. Train tickets, meanwhile, differ in price and convenience. Most of the trains are night ones, but still we have day ones. Night trains are very suitable, since you don’t lose day time. Day train isn’t so popular, but if there are no other options, it is better then nothing. Despite such big difference in comfort, they practically do not differ in price. It depends of other reasons.
Intercity train. Ukraine railways service
Exept regular night trains there is one more option – Intercity. This is a special fast train that connects big cities with the capital of Ukraine. Intercity train working only between Kiev – Lviv, Odessa – Kiev and Kharkov – Kiev. Main advantage of intercity train – speed. Since the road to Kiev takes around 6 hours, there are only seat places in it. Intercity is a modern train, which differ higher quality of comfort and cleaness. Also on this trains working only young english speaking staff. So it’s suitable for tourists. Remember, intercity has only 2 types of tickets: first class and second one. The only difference is that first class has two seat places near each other, not three like in second one.