Ukraine train tickets online
Online booking service of ukrainian railways is fastest way to find suitable train tickets for traveling over Ukraine. Train booking is available for every internet user. Booking tickets you choose the desired date of travel, direction and enter your details. Afterwards, ticket can be paid using any bank card. After payment, online system will send it to your email. There is no need to print a ticket, simply download it to your phone and show it when you board the train. Don’t forget to get passport! Without passport you can’t board the train in Ukraine.
Ukraine train tickets hunting tips
Despite that train is most popular transport, sometimes to get a ticket become a problem.
- Book tickets in advance! Availability of tickets depends on season. In summer find traine ticket much harder, especially towards Odessa. This is no suprise, because lot of people go to vacation. Main rule for summer time: book tickets far in advance. Maximum time of advance booking is 45 days.
- If you want to book upper seat in compartment, remember: all lower places have even numbers. All upper places have odd numbers.
- Сhoose a place in the middle of train car! Middle seats mean maximum distance from toilets, so you won’t be disturbed by smell.
- Can’t get a ticket? If there are no tickets, it make sense to wait until next morning. New tickets are available at 8 am, when online booking system is updated.
- How to get cheap ticket? Price varies depending on the day of week. Friday, Saturday and Sunday departure tickets always have higher price. Same happens during holidays in Ukraine. Train tickets cost more during New Year, Easter or Christmas time. On Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, train tickets price always low.
- Holidays fever. It is always a problem to buy Ukraine train tickets during holidays or week before. Main holidays in Ukraine are Easter, New Year, Christmas and first dates of March.
Ukrainian railways tickets. Price comparison
According to comfort and price, train tickets in Ukraine devided into four class:
- Business class, or so called SV. Expensive train tickets for place in compartment. Business class means compartment for two people only with private toilet and higher service. Regular train ticket of that class may cost $40-50.
- First class, or so called Coupe. Middle class ticket for a compartment for 4 people. Coupe it is closed compartment with big bed and private light over it. Upper price for ukrainian railways tickets of first class is $20. Usually such ticket cost less.
- Second class, or so called Plazcart. Cheapest train ticket of a regular train between big cities. Considered as a lower service. Second class is opened compartment with 4 places and little one for 2 places in front of it. This means 5 people around you and everybody who passing by corridor. Upper price for such ticket is $12, but usually a bit less.
Ukrainian railways advantage
Today, Ukraine train is most appropriate way to travel over country. Since the country has very big territory, train travel in Ukraine become cheapest and most suitable option. Simple fact, regular Ukraine train can get you from South to North and from West to East just overnight. So no wonder why not only locals, but many tourists prefer this kind of transport for traveling.
Ukraine train types
There are only two types of train in Ukraine. Train tickets, meanwhile, differ in price and convenience. Most of the trains are night ones, but still we have day ones. Night trains are very suitable, since you don’t lose day time. Day train isn’t so popular, but if there are no other options, it is better then nothing. Despite such big difference in comfort, they practically do not differ in price. It depends of other reasons.
Intercity train. Ukraine railways service
Exept regular night trains there is one more option – Intercity. This is a special fast train that connects big cities with the capital of Ukraine. Intercity train working only between Kiev – Lviv, Odessa – Kiev and Kharkov – Kiev. Main advantage of intercity train – speed. Since the road to Kiev takes around 6 hours, there are only seat places in it. Intercity is a modern train, which differ higher quality of comfort and cleaness. Also on this trains working only young english speaking staff. So it’s suitable for tourists. Remember, intercity has only 2 types of tickets: first class and second one. The only difference is that first class has two seat places near each other, not three like in second one.