One of popular Odessa tourists attractions is small town near the city – Belgorod Dnestrovsky, with its well-preserved medieval fortress. Belgorod Dnestrovsky is an attractive place for a great walk for whole day. A large fortress complex is located right near estuary, attracting numerous tourists. This fortress serves as a venue for various concerts, theatrical performances and festivals. During summer period, castle hosts “Steel League” – wellknown knight tournament, conducted by historical reenactors, theatrical performance “Siege of Akkerman Fortress”. In addition, every year, within 3 days, inside fortress the youth festival “Fortetsya” is held.
First people on territory of Belgorod Dnestrovsky appeared in VI century BC, when from ancient Greek city – Miletus, located in Asia Minor, during the great Greek colonization, people settled on this territory. Ancient Greeks settled these places to buy livestock and leather, grain and honey, wax and fish and sell olive oil, wines, expensive red and black lacquer ware, art objects, ornaments and other products of Greek masters. Soon, on high right bank of Dniester River, a city grew up called Tire.
In 1241 Belgorod Dnestrovsky was captured by Tatars. However, in 1288, Tatar ruler Khan Nogai, who needed funds to fight his enemies, gave the city to Genoese merchants for a generous payment. Genoese government changes name of the city: The White Castle (Asprocastro) becomes Green (Malvocastro) and Castle on Mount (Monastro).
At this time city occupies an important place in economic life of region: it develops handicrafts, coins coins, carries out profitable trade operations. At the end of 14th century Belgorod became part of the Moldavian principality, which was subordinate to Hungarian kingdom.
In 1420, the Turkish fleet attempted to seize city, but was forced to retreat with heavy losses. Sultan Bayazid II considered the White City to be strategically important, since it was gateway to Moldova, and to Rzeczpospolita. In 1484 Sultan collects an army, unprecedented before that time, consisting of 300 thousand Turks, 50 thousand Crimean Tatars. Surrounded both from land and from estuary, the city, without hope of salvation, defended itself for 15 days, but soon fell under onslaught of invaders. Out of 20 thousand of its inhabitants, only 200 families survived, 4 thousand people were sold into slavery by conquerors.
To control the captured territory, Tatars were moved here, with the center of dislocation in Ak-Kerman, which means the White Fortress. For 328 years, with small interruptions, Turks were masters of city. In the second half of 18th century, Russian Empire Catherine the Great on throne began a war with Turkish empire. Russian-Turkish war lasted about a century. Territory of White City was finally incorporated into Russian Empire in 1812. Tatar hordes, still remaining in this region, were moved to Tauride province. Soon new settlers began to come here: Russians, Bulgarians, Gypsies, Jews, Moldovans. A special role in economic growth of region belonged to German and Swiss colonists.
Already in 20s of XIX century Akkerman, or Belgorod Dnestrovsky has turned into one of significant centers of region. Intensively developed crafts and agriculture. The city was famous for its winemakers and fishermen.
By the mid-19th century, Akkerman fortress was losing its military-defense importance, and in 1832 it was removed from register as a strategic military facility, and in 1859 it was transferred to local city government. Bessarabian and Novorossiysk Governor Count Stroganov went further and allowed the Russian Association of Shipping and Trading to take limestone from the fortress walls to equip the pier. From the utter destruction, fortress was saved by the fact that it was much easier to extract limestone from quarry than to dismantle the walls of castle.
In 1944, this territory was returned to USSR, it was returned to former name Belgorod with definition of Dnestrovsky. Since that time, it has not changed.